LOCAL WORKFORCE AREA(S):
Gila River Indian Community in Pinal County. Part of Nineteen Tribal Nations Workforce Investment Board.
BRIEF SITE DESCRIPTION:
The Gila River Indian Community is located approximately 34 miles south of the Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix, Arizona.
Situated along Interstate 10 between Tucson and Phoenix, Gila (pronounced "heela") River Indian Community is readily accessible from either destination.
The reservation comprises 372,00 acres south of Phoenix, Tempe, and Chandler Arizona and was established in 1859 by an Act of Congress. The reservation is the homeland of the Pima and Maricopa Indians.
Firebird Lake is located on the reservation and hosts featured events throughout the year. There is a casino and bingo hall on the reservation which are owned and managed by the Gila River Indian Community.
Other attractions on/near the reservation include Casa Grande Ruins and Gila Heritage Park which features a self-guided tour of traditional Indian homes from the Apache, Papago, Pima, and Maricopa tribes.
- Design a Career plan that is based on funding and interest/skill level of client and the occupational demand in the labor field.
- Utilize the WIA, NEW, and TERO program
- Work with individuals Departments to develop job specific training programs for new potential workers i.e. cadet program, hospitality positions, medical positions, fire fighting
- Utilize the Tribal Education Scholarship program to fund career paths that require Associates and Bachelor degrees.
- Utilize the Arizona HEAT to identify State credentialed programs
- Refer clients to our Community’s Computer Training Center (CTC) for completion of GEDs
- Provide in-house Work Readiness trainings and other soft skills trainings such as budgeting, how to buy a car, credit repair, etc.
- Make it easier for adults to attend CRT programs and graduate with a certificate/degree in a shorter time span without any barriers such as no childcare and/or limited transportation.
- Health field —Medical billing Coding/Pharmacy Technician/ Medical Assistant
- Hospitality — Casinos...Resort…golf resort…Spa
- Green Collar construction field
AREAS OF STRENGTH/PROMISING PRACTICES:
None at this point.
- Lana Chanda, Director of Employment & Training (E&T), Gila River Indian Community
- Eulonda Martinez, WIA Coordinator, Gila River Employment & Training Department
- Andy Miritello, Building Trades Instructor, Gila River Employment & Training Department
- Marty Clay, Manager, Casa Grande State One Stop Office
- Al Larson, Program Coordinator, Central Arizona Association of Governments (CAAG)
- Jaccquelyn Harris Sanderson, Bridge Coordinator, Mesa Community College
- Nadine Williams, Student Services Coordinator, Tribal Education Department
- Herb Clah Jr., Wild Horse Pass Resort and Spa
- Jesse Juarez, Representative, Huhukum Hospital
- Urban Giff, Lone Butte Board Member
- Stephanie Sauceda, Director, TERO
- Chris Banham, Coordinator - Off Reservation Boarding Schools